On Mother’s Day this year, what better way to celebrate moms than by supporting ALL DC caretakers? Help us advocate for full funding for DC’s Universal Paid Family Leave program!
“All I want for Mother’s Day is #PaidLeave4DC” Social Media Storm
Sunday, May 14 | ALL DAY
Any delay in securing the funding means a delay in program benefits -- which already don’t kick in until 2020. DC families can’t wait any longer!
On Mother’s Day, let’s make our voice heard for Paid Family Leave by taking social media by storm. Tweet, post on Facebook, and/or take some selfies to celebrate a beloved caretaker in your life and fight for full funding for Paid Family Leave!
Use this handy toolkit here for examples of posts and images to share (replicated in part below).
Take a selfie!
Print these signs to hold up in your selfies -- or, if you don’t have a printer, write out your message by hand!
- All I want for Mother’s Day is full funding for DC Paid Family and Medical Leave! [Click here for PDF to print]
- As a mother, I believe we can help families in DC thrive by... [Click here for PDF to print]
Take to Twitter
Tweet at your Councilmember, or at the important CMs (marked with stars below). We’ve included some sample tweets below -- feel free to use them, or to write your own!
DC Council Twitter Handles
*Chairman Phil Mendelson
Robert White, At-Large
*Anita Bonds, At-Large
David Grosso, At-Large
Elissa Silverman, At-Large
Brianne Nadeau, Ward 1
Jack Evans, Ward 2
*Mary M. Cheh, Ward 3
Brandon Todd, Ward 4
*Kenyan McDuffie, Ward 5
Charles Allen, Ward 6
*Vincent Gray, Ward 7
*Trayon White, Ward 8
(**make sure you customize these with the Twitter handle of the Councilmember you’re addressing!):
- In honor of mothers working in DC, all I want for this #MothersDay is #PaidLeave4DC! (@Councilmember handle)
- Mothers make families AND economies run. Support families this #MothersDay with #PaidLeave4DC
- As a mother, I believe this Mother's Day we can help DC families thrive by fully funding #PaidLeave4DC. #MothersDay
- As a mother, I believe we can help DC families thrive by ____ #MothersDay #PaidLeave4DC
- Full $40 million funding for #PaidLeave4DC! Any delay in funding means a delay in benefits, DC families can't wait any longer! (@Councilmember handle)
- .[@Councilmember handle] I shouldn't have to choose btwn providing for my family and caring for them. It's time to #LeadOnLeaveDC!
- Family comes first. I'm counting on [@Councilmember handle] to set the right priorities w/#PaidLeave4DC. #MothersDay
Post on Facebook
Share your selfie or one of these images, and/or use some of the sample Facebook posts below:
- Mother’s Day is the perfect day to reflect on how family comes first. I'm counting on the DC Council to set the right priorities w/ #PaidLeave4DC! We need full funding and to make sure the law we fought so hard for isn’t replaced by corporate-controlled legislation. #MothersDay
- Did you know we *still* need to secure full funding for Paid Family Leave in DC? Any delay in full funding means a delay in benefits, and DC families can't wait any longer! For the love of moms this #MothersDay, we need full funding for #PaidLeave4DC!